Friday, March 24, 2006

I'm giving up knighthood

After having questioned my knighthood for quite some time now, i have come to decide i am giving up on it. Since i am doing nothing really de la Maza like, as in circlish, concentric squarish things and all that, i really do not see much of a reason for me to stay on. Sure i am on a quest to try and significantly improve my chess game, but not through de la Maza's exact method's. Now, it is not like i think that the Knights aren't cool or anything, and that being part of it isn't cool, cause they are cool, and being part of it is cool. In fact i think they are a very unique kind of band. And what really makes them unique, is their shared de la Maza religion/belief, and being on their so-called knightly quests, following in the footsteps of de la Maza to become eventual Knights Errant hall of famers (can't think of any other way to describe it). And even though i might make use of some of de la Maza's methods (in time and on my own pace), i really do not feel i am much of an addition to the Knights Errant. So i've come to make this decision.

The Knight(side)bar will remain on my blog and i will keep it up to date and i will be keeping track of all your posts as i always did (nothing will change for that matter), and i would appreciate remaining on your sidebars as well :-)

Anyway, i would like to wish you all the best the best on your knightly quests, and let us toast to the improvement of our beloved game ;-)

10 Comments:

At 27 March, 2006 19:00 , Blogger CelticDeath said...

I'm sorry to hear it. I hope you don't give up chess improvement completely.

 
At 27 March, 2006 20:43 , Blogger Montse said...

Edwin,

You will always be a knight to me

 
At 27 March, 2006 20:51 , Blogger Zek said...

Speaking as a non-knight, there is no reason why you can't graduate from knighthood to incorporate other areas of chess improvement.

 
At 27 March, 2006 23:43 , Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Edwin, Christopher is wrong.

If you aren't doing the Circles, exactly as laid out in de la Maza's articles and book, you will never get better at chess.

Your family will disown you.

You will be arrested, taken to Guantanamo bay, and forced to listen to a tape of George Bush pronouncing 'nuclear' over and over again for three hours.

"Newc-yewl-errrr" "Newc-yewl-errr"

Then, once a day, MDLM will come in with a computer loaded only with a Unix version of CT-Art that you have to run from the command line. When you finish the second circle, you will be allowed to drink some water.

Seriously, best of luck at improving at chess (and most importantly, enjoying chess) whatever you end up doing to improve. My theory is, trying to get better at chess improves chess skills.

 
At 28 March, 2006 20:30 , Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey Edwin,

Sorry to hear you are dropping out, but glad to hear you will keep on blogging and being a friend.

PS

 
At 29 March, 2006 04:57 , Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

Thank's for the kind words everyone :-)

And yes! I WILL keep at trying to improve my game and blog about it! Nothing will change for that matter. I'll just won't be doing it as a knight. I would have if i had the time to be doing some serious circles and stuff, but i don't. And probably not for a long time coming. But i don't really mind. I am comfortable with what i am doing right now. Btw, where this whole blogging thing is concerned, i find it also to be of help at improving my game in a way. How? Well, consider yourself reviewing a game (or whatever) and writing about it... While writing about it, you are in fact also working on improving your game. I cannot really explain what i am trying to say here, but i hope you know what i am trying to say. What i can tell you is that i consider training and blogging about it to be a wonderfull combination, so...

And like i mentioned in my post... Let us toast to the improvement of our beloved game! Cheers!

 
At 31 March, 2006 01:31 , Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Edwin,

I hear ya. When I analyze my games for myself I tend to do a quicker job then when I'm going to post it. I'm more afraid of sounding stupid when I put my comments on my blog.

PS

 
At 31 March, 2006 06:35 , Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

PS,

I can relate to what you're saying :-)

I am often afraid as well of sounding, or comming across stupid/dumb. Especially since English is not my native language.

 
At 23 April, 2006 23:01 , Blogger Ed Doyle said...

Edwin
Having had time to apply the de la manza system now, i too am of the view that it is not the 'true path..to rapid chess improvement (in fact i came across an excellent critique of the approach on a book review on amazon.com).. but tactical development is an important aspect of an overall approach to development.. thus you cannot ignore tactics as much as you cant depend on the solely .. therefore one must always be a Knight in spirit ... surely..

 
At 27 April, 2006 04:03 , Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

But i am a Knight in spirit St. Patzer... And as to wether de la Maza's method works yes or no, that is not something i question, and that isn't why i decided to give up Knighthood. I gave it up because i wasn't doing it really de la Maza like. So there is nothing to gain from being a Knight (for me). I joined the Knight's because i wanted to give it a try and become a Hall of Famer Knight eventually. But i cannot fit this Special Forces chess training into my schedule right now (and probably not for a long time coming), so...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home