Saturday, December 31, 2005

My first serious Petroff attempt

Unfortunatly i did not get to continue PCT today :(
However, i did get to play some live games on Playchess where i regularly log in as a guest, to try out stuff in mostly blitz games. That way i can play a little less seriously since i don't have to worry about the effect it will have on my rating etc. etc. Ofcourse, there are also serious attempts inbetween.
Now, i have chosen to go with what is called an "opening approach". I have chosen to go with only one opening for white and only one for black. And play them for atleast a year, so i can focus on other areas of chess to study. It doesn't mean i don't play different openings alltogether, cause i do! I mean, with so much existing openings who wouldn't be tempted. It's just that it happens very little. Anyway, one of these other openings (for black in this case) i feel drawn to, is the Petroff's Defense a.k.a Petrov Defense a.k.a Russian Defense (or Defence). And here's my first serious attempt at it as a guest on Playchess.

  • (play through variations here)


  • Now, i have a tendency (don't we all) to classify my games as being good, awesome, outstanding, bad, awfull, disastrous etc. and i would like to classify this one as pretty good for a first serious attempt. I am aware (no offense intended) that my opponent wasn't very bright (judging the fact he/she let me take the Queen). But i do not classify my games by the strength of my opponent, i classify my games by the moves i choose.

    That's all for now. Untill next time :)

    4 Comments:

    At 31 December, 2005 20:49 , Blogger Ed Doyle said...

    Edwin

    I think your classification system is fair. However Im not sure there is an accurate category for games which include suicide attempts from recouperating post operative lobomomy patients lacking the will to live.

    Get back in there and find yourself a new victim .. with a pulse !!

     
    At 05 January, 2006 20:56 , Blogger funkyfantom said...

    Beware the Cochrane Gambit. Even a
    piece up, its no fun having your King wander around the center of the board being gang-bashed.

    On the other hand, we all need to practice our defensive skills, I suppose.

     
    At 05 January, 2006 22:25 , Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

    Thanks for bringing it to my attention funky! It sure is an annoying gambit which keeps you on your toes. However, stats show that if black plays the right moves, it's a 100% win for black.

     
    At 06 January, 2006 21:38 , Blogger funkyfantom said...

    To me, the Cochrane is a close cousin of the infamous Halloween Gambit.

    It is psychologically dangerous for short duration games. You are outraged at the chutzpah of your opponent for doing this- and the attacker gets the initiative.

    I would like to see a good book on the Cochrane.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home