Friday, October 21, 2005

Man vs Machine (Anaconda 1.0) Match update

Do you ever have these days where (no matter how much you've studied) you can just hear an echo inside your head? When thing's are a total blank? Where (no matter how long you look at the board) you just can't make it out to be anything? Where you move but you don't know why? Well i do! And i'll get back to that after telling you that i won the match by 3 to 1. It happens to be my play day today, and i just finished my final match game (which is why i started asking all those questions). I played 2 match games of which the first was hours ago, and the second i just finished. I will start with the first game. I prepared myself to play in the usual matter, which is by going over some games in which my opening is used and look at some previous match games briefly. Sort of like firing up :)
Feeling i was in the mood to play some good games, i started of with the third match game. At move 6 (i was white) Anaconda gave me the idea i went out of book by taking quite a pause, which later turned out not to be the case. It threw me off guard, and i started feeling insecure about my game. It really shows in my play. I managed to win the game, but it left me feeling weird. Go here for a replay of the game. Moving on to the second and final match game, which was played hours later due to it being a strange day (in terms of playing time), and which is the reason for starting this post with all the questions. The game was a total screw up. As you can guess from the questions i asked. Here's the game. Now games like that can really get me down. I mean, i'm trying my utmost best to get better at chess. I am giving chess a HELLUVALOT of myself for quite some time now. Atleast long enough to rule out games like these. But why do they still happen? How can your head just be blank and not see anything while looking at the board? This is not the first time it happened to me you know? F**k!

2 Comments:

At 21 October, 2005 22:37 , Blogger CelticDeath said...

I recently started playing rated games against Fritz 8. So far, I have 1 win and 1 draw against it (vs. 1540 and 1630 rating respectively). How accurate do you feel these ratings are, Edwin?

 
At 22 October, 2005 05:51 , Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

I am playing through the same interface. But i've got a bunch of engines which i use through it. Eventually i will get to Fritz as well. I am going down the list (or however you say it). But on the subject of their ratings and accuracy... To what do you want to compare them to? USCF? FIDE? Then again, a computer's chess rating is also influenced by the performance of the machine you're running it on. I am currently playing on a Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 512MB RAM PC. Then again i am no expert on the rating field. But my gut feeling tells me that the ratings are somewhat inflated. I would like to get an experts opinion on the matter myself. But like i said, it is highly dependable on what kinda hardware you're running. Or is it software?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home